Two maps of areas of interest in Higashi-Ojima, on the eastern edges of Koto-ku, and along the Onagigawa River, which runs across Koto-ku.
Map I: Higashi-Ojima Sanpo Map 東大島周辺おさんぽMAP
Seen in the map:
In the middle of the map, running left to right, then sloping down, is the Toei Shinjuku Line 都営地下鉄新宿線. Towards the left of the map is 大島駅 (Ojima Station), and towards the right is 東大島駅 (Higashi-Ojima Station).
- Right of the map: Kyunaka River 旧中川 (Old Nakagawa)
- Bottom of map: Onagigawa River 小名木川
(1) 中川番所跡 Nakagawa Ship Guard Station & Museum
Here are a few pictures of the Nakagawa Ship Guard Station, which, during the Edo era, was used to check waterway-bound trade. As I’ve cited in a previous post, “The station checked people and goods brought by barges into Edo; this included monitoring the flow of weapons to identify potential wars against the Shogunate. The station also checked the flow of women leaving Edo, as the Shogunate would take hostage the wife of each feudal lord in Edo and forbid her from going home.”
(2) 小名木川しおのみち Onagigawa River Shio-no-michi (Onagigawa Salt Road)
This river was used as a channel to transport salt during the Edo era.
(3) 宝塔寺塩なめ地蔵 Hotoji Shioname Jizo Temple
This temple has something to do with salt and the removal of warts. Seen here, bags of salt as offerings at the temple (source):
(4) 大島稲荷神社 Ojima-Inari Jinja Shrine
(5) 子安神社跡庚申堂 Koyasu Shrine ruins
Small shrine at a street corner.
(6) 東大島神社 Higashi-Ojima Shrine
(7) 南本所牛島神社跡石碑 Shrine Monument
Map II: Onagigawa Walking Maniac 小名木川マニアック散策
Walking map along the Onagigawa River and its many bridges (source):
The best item shown here is the four-way Onagigawa Clover Bridge 小名木川クローバー橋 (map):
The Clover Bridge is visible in an excellent photosphere (source):
This bridge is reminiscent of the Miyoshibashi 三吉橋 bridge, that used to cross the Tsukijigawa in Ginza. The river has since been filled in.
- Nakagawa Funabansho Barge Museum
- 旧小松川閘門、旧中川と荒川ロックゲート Old Lock
- The Canals of Ginza: floating through time on Tokyo’s central waterways
Map of items discussed in this post: