1. Akihabara American college expo
What: American colleges promoting themselves to Japanese students for study abroad and other educational opportunities.
What I remember: There were several schools (probably from Texas) that I had never heard of but which had an impressive number of staff and appeared more professional than the other schools.
Where: UDX Gallery/Conference / UDX カンファレンス (map).
2. Design Fiesta Gallery Omotesando Tokyo map
What: My brother, an ex-girlfriend, and I having lunch and visiting an art gallery in Omotesando.
Where: The art exhibit was held by a friend of mine at Design Fiesta Gallery, in the backstreets of Omotesando and Harajuku. (map).
3. Nishi-Ogikubo and Minami Asagaya (Suginami-ku)
4. Shinagawa beer garden
What: A nomihodai dinner at one of the many beer gardens in Tokyo.
Where: Shinagawa, at the Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa (I believe).
When: August, 2012
What I remember: The hotel placed boards over the swimming pool to create a larger surface for the beer garden. It was unclear to me whether the pool was used when the beer garden was not in operation.
After this: We went to the one decent street near Shinagawa Station (the rest of Shinagawa is all wide roads and enormous buildings). We had a beer here (map). It’s now called “Glass Dance”, but it had a much funnier name back then.
5. Tanakaya beer store Mejiro (Toshima-ku) / Gotanda Okinawa restaurant Tokyo map
- Address: 東京都豊島区目白3-4-14 田中屋ビル地下 /// Toshima-ku, Tokyo Mejiro 3-4-14 Tanakaya building basement
- Store hours: 営業 11:00～20:00 日曜定休 // Open 11:00 to 20:00; closed on Sundays
6. Yokohama Chinatown, Travesso Grill
When: September 2012